Translate

Tuesday 23 June 2015

The RAD Color Run

A while ago my son started doing junior park run and I offered (foolishly) to run a 5k with him.

We rather liked the sound of the RAD color run held at Harewood House, so I duly signed up on the website and entered us both into the race.

What was I thinking? I am not built for running - unless it is to the bar or I'm getting chased in a zombie apocalypse. In which case I'm heading straight for Daryl from The Walking Dead, he's still alive after 5 seasons so he knows what he is doing.

I had in in my head that I was going to train and not show myself up too badly... I got distracted... That wine was just too damn good, so race day found me ill prepared for a 5k race with a speedy 8 year old in tow.

Start of the race before we got bombed by paint

We waited for the paint to fly and the gun to fire as we lined up for the first wave of runners.


Waiting patiently
and we are off


















Personally i was fine for the first few hundred metres while Mr young stuff (Jake) bounced around all excited and tried to spur me to go even faster.

Personally I just wanted to be left to walk after the first 1km and even resorted to offering the walkie talkie over so he could meet his dad at the finish line while I ambled around/semi jogged occasionally, so that I didn't feel I was going to pass out from lack of oxygen.

Jake was having none of it and insisted on dragging my butt around the course as fast as I could go (this still involved a lot of walking on my part.

Blasting around the course
Not quite as pristine now

 

















As we headed towards the finish line it was a downhill gradient and I managed a respectable jog for the last 1/2km. It was nice Jake had waited for me and we crossed the finish line together and we had actually had a great time. So much so we have signed up for another one in aid of the local hospice in September. I best get training properly this time.

The Finish Line - we did it!





No comments:

Post a Comment